Submitted by Lynsey, I could eat bowls and bowls of this!
Recipe for approx. 15 people
- * About 1.5 kg very ripe, large tomatoes
- * 10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- * 1 bulb garlic
- * 5 tbsp cider vinegar
- * Stale french bread (3 sticks), torn into bite-sized chunks
- * About 70 black olives
- * 2 small cucumbers, peeled, deseeded and cut into thick half-moons
- * 3 small red onion, halved and finely sliced
- * 300g whole cherry tomatoes
- * 3 tbsp baby capers, drained and rinsed
- * 3 handfuls of basil leaves, torn
- * Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- * 1 small tin anchovies (optional)
How to cook:
1. Put the large tomatoes in a large bowl and crush them with your hands. Tip them into a sieve and rub through. Discard the skin and pips. Add half the oil, vinegar and plenty of salt and pepper to the tomato juice.
2. Put the torn bread on a tray and cover with half olive oil and roast with crushed garlic in oven until toasted (can also be down on stove top) then put in a large bowl and pour over the tomatoey dressing. Add the olives, cucumber, red onion, cherry tomatoes, capers and basil. Toss everything together well with your hands. Place some anchovy fillets on top (optional). Leave it for 20 minutes or so for the flavours to develop, then check the seasoning and serve.
http://etextile-summercamp.org/2013/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Panzella.jpg 492w" sizes="(max-width: 300px) 100vw, 300px" />