Feeds 15 people
Sweet Potato Chilli
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium-large sweet potatoes
- 3 large onions, diced
- 4 fresh chillies, diced
- 12 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 12 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups of water
- 1.5 kg of tomatoes or 800g tinned tomatoes
- 800g tinned kidney beans
- 800g tinned haricot beans or black beans
- 1 lime
- 3 squares of dark chocolate
- Optional toppings: chopped fresh coriander, feta cheese, soured cream or plain yoghurt
- If using fresh instead of tinned tomatoes, peel the tomatoes using boiling then cold water. Remove stem cores, dices and cook down tomatoes in a pot. Reduce approximately a quarter of the water and then set to the side off heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot and cook the onions, chillis and sweet potatoes for about 5 minutes until the onions are transparent.
- Add the garlic, chilli powder, cumin and salt to the pan and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the water and bring the mixture to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and beans, then simmer for a further 15 minutes (can also keep warm on the stove until the rest of the meal is ready).
- A few minutes before removing the chilli from the heat, add the squares of chocolate and stir through.
Double this recipe and substitute margarine for butter and soy milk for cow milk.